Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Something educational....

Because my laptop died at the end of our first class session, I wasn't able to write my first blog post until tonight (class 2). Since the blog topic was pretty open (write about anything educationally related), I'll simply discuss what we've done so far during class 1 and class 2.

During class 1, we learned how to create a presentation with google apps and shared them one-by-one with the class. I learned how to embed videos and pictures in the presentation seamlessly, which was new to me. We also created this blog! :)

In class 2 we learned how to create a survey with google apps (google "form") and this was really exciting. I will definitely incorporate this tool in the classroom, perhaps as a form of assessment for student learning (summative or formative), or perhaps as a way to communicate with parents about an upcoming field trip, class party, volunteers, etc.
We also watched a video about google apps in the classroom and how personal laptops in the classroom have changed student achievement in a high school in the Bronx. We composed a google doc and answered 2 questions in relation to this video. But first -- something else new I learned today (you can check "revision history" on a google doc to monitor who did all the work - very interesting!!)

Anyway, here is what my classmate True and I wrote:

1. What are the benefits of using Educational Technology in schools?



  • active way to engage students
  • support students to keep them up to date with the new age of technology
  • help students learn how to multi-task
  • support visual learners
  • support students to use multiple resources
  • paperless!
  • possibly easier and more manageable for teachers (assessments, analyzing data, etc.)
  • prep for the workforce and/or college after high school
  • site traffic and work can be monitored by staff
  • create better relationships between staff and students
  • outlet for creative expression, such as blogs, graphic design, filmography, etc.
  • promote easy collaboration with peers (staff or students alike)

2. What are some obstacles preventing successful ed tech use in schools?
  • money and resources
  • professional development and training for teachers (that is also persistent and up to date, so in other words, not once during the summer and then never again)
  • theft, damage
  • internet safety
  • cyber bullying
  • teacher resistance
  • parent opposition - parents may be concerned about their child’s privacy, internet usage, etc.
  • parental consent
  • minors
  • decrease in face-to-face collaboration, possible decrease in social skills (interpersonal skills)
  • legal issues, such as having resources to draw up consent forms, be prepared for lawsuits, etc.

many good points if I do say so myself! I'm really enjoying this course thus far and am excited for what further educational technology we'll explore in later classes.
Even though it's only class 2, I can see this being one of the most useful and engaging courses I've taken in this program! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment