Sunday, July 29, 2012

Dream School


Final Blog Entry
Pretend you had to create a school from scratch, what kind of teachers would you hire, what kind of curriculum would you use, how would you incorporate technology?

If I could create a school from scratch, I would borrow several administrative and instructional approaches from Japan. I taught English abroad in Sapporo, Japan for 2 years and gained a lot of insight about the value of cooperative learning communities and inquiry-based learning. I would create a central office for teachers where the entire staff, including principal, vice-principal, nurses, food service employees, etc would gather and work daily. We would hold meetings every morning 30 minutes prior to the school of the start date. Important administrative and school announcements would be shared and discussed, and each grade level team leader would discuss any “ah-ha’s” or concerns they see with the school. In this way, the entire staff is always on the same level of their students’ learning concerns and how to improve it. After 10 minutes briefing with the whole school, each grade level team would meet for 10 minutes to discuss the day’s plans, make sure everyone is on the same page, and help any colleagues in need who express concerns about common issues related to behavior or academics that they see in their classrooms. I think having a strong collaborative community with all staff members in a school, as well as with the parents, and even students, is vital to keep staff accountable, up to date, and reminded of the common goal of why we’re all here in the first place – to help students reach their maximum potential, learn, be safe, and help them become compassionate critical-thinking scholars that can contribute positively to their society. Thus, for this system to work, I would have to find teachers who are willing and able to work in a collaborative community, as well as find teachers who are always up to date with instructional approaches and passionate about their jobs.
I would use an inquiry-based and project-based instructional approach to learning to ensure that students are building more sophisticated knowledge about core subjects beyond any sort of rote memorization or isolated procedural steps. This instructional approach not only serves to understand students’ thinking, it helps ensure students are engaged with the material by keeping them in the conversation and decision making of their learning, as well as targeting students’ specific needs and strengths. Having a curriculum that builds and supports a students’ conceptual understanding of all subjects is vital to creating successful and critical thinking scholars. I would also ensure that all teachers are integrating a strong foundation of character education throughout the curriculum, incorporating school-wide programs, as well as ensuring I hire teachers who can be positive, genuine, and sincere role models for their students.
I would incorporate technology by ensuring that each classroom has at least 5 desktop computers. I’m still on the fence whether I want each student to have their own laptop, but if the funds were there, I suppose it certainly wouldn’t hurt, and incorporating more higher-level engagement with technology would be much easier for the teachers at my school. In any case, it would be important to hire teachers who are technologically savvy and understand the value of integrating technology in a 21st century classroom. I would not allow teachers who make the common mistake of making excuses for their students just because one or two students do not have access to a computer. I would ensure that I hire teachers who are dedicated to helping every student succeed despite any personal circumstance that may be easily overcome. I would incorporate programs like google apps, blog making (as a form of journal writing, depending on the grade level and typing speed of students – because I wouldn’t want students’ creativity be stunted by concerns of slow typing), linuit, and possibly even try to incorporate a kodu visual programming unit. Because I was an undergraduate film major, I would definitely want to incorporate xtranormal film making into various language arts lessons. When incorporating technology in the classroom, whether it’s myself in my own classroom or the teachers I staff at my school, it’s important that the students learn how to use with technology, not about it.

1 comment:

  1. So excited to see that you taught in Japan! My mother is from Nagoya and so I get butterflies in my stomach whenever I see anything Japan-related... oops.

    Your ideas sound fantastic! We are living in such a technology-driven generation, so the cumputers would be something the students could personally relate to :)

    Aya ♥ Strawberry Koi

    ReplyDelete