The article I chose to blog about this week was found on Yahoo's front page. It discusses the recent rise in single-sex classrooms across public schools in the nation. It can be found here.
The article examines the recent trend of splitting boys and girls up in public school classrooms based on the idea that genders learn and behave differently and can thrive in different settings catered to their tastes. About 500 public schools offer these sorts of classrooms now, proliferating after a 2006 research showed that boys, particularly minority boys, are graduating at lower rats and testing lower than their female counterparts. But critics worry single-sex learning helps reinforce gender stereotypes and deprives students of equal educational opportunities.
While I read this article, I found it interesting that this recent trend warranted an article weighing the pros and cons of single-sex learning communities even though private schools have been employing this for decades. I can see how the ACLU would be upset over this recent development in public schools, especially with such close parallels to the desegregation efforts of Brown v Board of Education over 50 years ago, and I agree to some degree. I'd like to see more solid research indicating any benefits, if any, that come from segregating genders in the public school system. Otherwise or until then, I think it may need to stay in the private sphere; or more measures need to be taken to ensure fair and equal learning opportunities that are consistent within and among each and every single-sex classroom.
No comments:
Post a Comment